Monday 11 February 2013

Neville 'Teddy' McCook

The KC fraternity is today celebrating the life of Neville 'Teddy' McCook. The loss can become unbearable for us if we choose to view it as the end of his life; I extend my condolences to the McCook family. I would like to view this as the start of his legacy. Uncle Teddy was the consummate professional in all he did no matter the school, club, country or region, and it would be to our detriment-both country and school-if we allow the lessons he taught us go to waste. This man dedicated his life to sports administration and the betterment of athletes and by extension the sport of athletics. He was involved in almost everything at KC, I wonder how he found time for anything else; but he did. It is people like Uncle Teddy that allowed us to be the proud, confident men we are today; he would accept no less behaviour or disposition.

I remember the first time I spoke to Uncle Teddy, it was at a Kingston College Chapel Choir concert. I was a young chorister at the time just like his biological nephew Wayne McCook. Somehow he knew who I was, because his first words were "young Bell what yu doin' on choir?" then he chuckled a bit then continued in a serious tone, "make sure you attend rehearsals regularly, you have a responsibility". Those of us who joined the choir at that time gave over 23 years of unbroken service; we instinctively knew this responsibility was to honour the work of those gone before us. Him knowing me was nothing special, he knew everybody, and I mean everybody, even their nicknames.

His shoes can't be filled, we will just try to continue doing the good we can for our family, church, school, places of employment and by extension our beloved Jamaica. Anyone needing a role model, allow someone to tell you about Neville 'Teddy' McCook.

FORTIS CADERE CEDERE NON POTEST.


© 2013 Antonio Bell. All rights reserved

Disclaimer
All information posted in this blog are my personal views and don’t reflect the view of any Association, Federation or Governing Body.

No comments:

Post a Comment