Saturday 23 February 2013

My National Flag

FLAG
A piece of cloth, usually rectangular, or distinctive colour and design, used as a symbol, standard, signal, or emblem - www.thefreedictionary.com

This is the last time I will say something on this topic and I hope the powers that be in our country see it fit to have something done to address this thing.

Please see link below of an ad done by a company (I can't see the connection between the ad and the brand) in which the Jamaican flag caught fire and the fire was put out by some people stomping the flag on the sidewalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wWx6M58f1HY

What hurt me more than the ad itself were those that did not find this offensive. I don't have to be a Jew, Muslim, Gentile, or any race, colour or creed for something to offend me; I don't have to be one or the other.

This was not a live shot of something occurring real time where it may be looked at in another way. This was something brainstormed, mulled over, done and redone no doubt. And to subject my flag-any flag for that matter-to this is just inexplicable.

As I mentioned on my Facebook page, I guess we Jamaicans gave the dialect used in the VW ad a pass so it's open season. 

If the American flag, German flag, Spanish flag, Cuban flag, Chinese flag, any flag was burnt in such a manner I can't even imagine the groundswell that would cause. So my flag a wha?........after nuh flag nuh more than my flag.

People nuh ramp wid my FLAG. That is my signal, my standard, my symbol and my emblem.

All I need is an apology made to our government, they can accept it on my behalf. And it didn't have to take a learned man like our principal logistics, ceremonial, and protocol consultant, Merrick Needham to have to say this;

"I would agree that first of all there should be an apology, but it should be pulled, because it is going to continue inflaming people. I don't feel so strongly now that we should go and raise hell from the diplomatic point of view but we should make the point through diplomatic circles that it is not a good way to represent the country, there should be an apology at least". - www.rjrnewsonline.com

People nuh ramp wid my FLAG.......straight.

Follow on twitter: @antoniobellmc

© 2013 Antonio Bell. All rights reserved

Disclaimer
All the commentary posted in this publication are my personal view(s) and do not reflect the view(s) of any Association, Federation or Governing Body.

5 comments:

  1. Antonio, lighten up poo, this is comedy. I actually liked it, didn't feel offended one bit. The flag wasn't burn in protest or anything.

    I feel more offended when I see girls wearing short shorts with the Jamaica Flag across their backside, same for flip flops bearing the flag or worse, worn out flags on poles of police stations, government buildings, national stadium and such.

    I feel more offended when I take my kids to the National Heroes Park and then to Emancipation Park and have them ask me, why does the National Heroes Park treated this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick where exactly is the line? I somehow missed where it was.

      Delete
  2. Both of you are right. It was funny, but they'd dare not pull the stunt with a so called first world country's flag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think good sense prevailed in this matter, at least there was an apology.

    ReplyDelete