Tuesday 10 June 2014

THE BIG SHOW IS HERE

The FIFA World Cup starts June 12, 2014 and everyone is on the edge of their seat awaiting the roll out of the teams they are backing. I must say the coverage this World Cup has received (both positive and negative) has been second to none I can remember. Everywhere I turn there is some advertisement or commentary about the World Cup 2014.........the sponsors must be elated, and saying money well spent.


I still think the traditional powerhouse teams (who have already won the World Cup) will factor in the latter stages with Spain now joining that fray. There is a formula to win the FIFA World Cup and Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and .........unbelievably England, know how to do this. However, IN MY VIEW, World Cup 2018 will be won by a team who has never won it before.

My only regret is that I won’t get to see Radamel Falcao of Columbia playing at this FIFA World Cup, if I feel this way, I can’t even imagine how he feels. This striker is lethal in front of goal; and if I have to explain to anyone who this player is, something must be wrong with you. Nevertheless, you can read about his exploits here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radamel_Falcao

I think there will be a lot of surprise results at this tournament. The minnow teams are doing their homework and getting much better at organizing and strategizing. I speak of teams from the CONCACAF region, Asia and Africa. Europe holds centre stage when we speak of powerhouse teams, as 5 World Cup winners belong to Europe and 3 belong to South America.

The solid teams have shown themselves so far, namely Spain, Brazil, Germany.......you know the usual suspects. It will be dangerous to predict which 2 teams will be coming out of their groups; I will only attempt to predict 1 from each group:

GROUP A      BRAZIL (FIFA ranking #3)
GROUP B      SPAIN (FIFA ranking #1)
GROUP C     COLUMBIA (FIFA ranking #8)
GROUP D     URUGUAY (FIFA ranking #7)
GROUP E      FRANCE (FIFA ranking #17)
GROUP F      ARGENTINA (FIFA ranking #5)
GROUP G     GERMANY (FIFA ranking #2)
GROUP H     BELGIUM (FIFA ranking #11)

Injuries are impacting all the teams, which is in itself a chance for each team to show their depth. The eventual World Cup winner of this tournament (which I think will be Spain....again), will have it very hard this time around. Firstly, Vicente del Bosque has the fact that only 1 coach (Vittorrio Pozzo) in the history of the World Cup has won back to back tournaments, going against him. Also, Spain is aging and in my estimation this team has hit their plateau (although they are still ranked #1 by FIFA). Nevertheless, they will take some beating as they have the quality and they have done it already.

Follow me on twitter: @antoniobellmc
Email : info@antoniobell.com
http://antoniobell.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer

All the commentary posted in this publication are my personal view(s) and do not reflect the view(s) of any Association, Federation or Governing Body.

No comments:

Post a Comment